Why Bully Sticks?
- Bully sticks are a natural treat free of chemicals, and dyes and fully digestible.
- Bully sticks help maintain oral health. They can prevent the build-up of plaque and tartar and stop cavity formation. They also help prevent periodontal disease and gingivitis.
- Bully sticks relieve boredom. Bored dogs can get into a lot of mischief since they don’t have a proper outlet for their energy. A bully stick can help alleviate boredom and stress through chewing.
- Bully sticks are high in protein. A high-protein, low-fat treat is great for overweight dogs and healthy weight dogs alike. Bully sticks also contain vitamins and minerals such as calcium and magnesium for strong bones.
- Bully sticks come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. It is easy to find one best suited for your individual dog. They can be small, long, braided, or even a ring.
Why Do Dogs Like Bully Sticks?
Dogs like bully sticks because they love to chew. Chewing is vital in the life of any dog for a variety of reasons.
For pups, it is one of the most important activities because they use their mouth to explore their surroundings, and like teething babies, they need to chew in order to soothe the teething pains.
For adult dogs;
- To alleviate boredom – when dogs have nothing to do, they can keep themselves busy by chewing anything they can come across, such as walls, railings, toys, shoes, anything that they can come across (which is why a treat or a chew is important, because it keeps them away from things that are not safe to chew.)
- To lessen anxiety – when stressed, dogs can chew in order to take their mind away from what’s bothering them. This is similar to people who bite their nails or chew on a pen. This is particularly true for dogs that suffer from phobias or those that tend to encounter loud noises such as thunder, construction noise, or the neighbor’s loud music.
- For fun – sometimes here’s no real reason except that the dog enjoys the act of chewing. It’s fun for them, and may even do it as a way of playing with you. They may chew on your shoes, or any object you’re holding just to incite you into getting into a tug of war or a game of “chase.”
- It tastes good – this is especially true in the case of the beef pizzles from the Bully Stick Shoppe. Dogs like to chew on it because it tastes good and makes them feel good. The fact that it is good for their health is a bonus.
How Long Do Bully Sticks Last?
When it comes to expiration date during storage, bully sticks are known to have long shelf lives due to being naturally preserved by drying. From the time they are produced, they can last up to two years or more on store shelves.
As for how long it will last when used by a dog, it will depend on the dog. Different dogs of different breed tend to have different levels of aggressiveness and enthusiasm, and will of course have different bite strengths. On average, a bully stick will last from several hours to a few days, depending on the aforementioned factors.
How Many Bully Sticks Can a Puppy Have?
It is recommended that a puppy be given a maximum of one bully stick per day. More than one is discouraged because the pizzle is high in protein, which when consumed excessively may have adverse effects on your pup’s health. Fortunately, this won’t be too much of a problem because majority of pups won’t be able to consume more than one stick per day, not to mention the fact that buying way too many would be cost-prohibitive.
How Bully Sticks for Dogs Are Made?
Bully sticks for dogs are made of dried bull penises. All natural bully sticks contain only pure beef, and they make a great chewy dog treat.
Manufacturers make bully sticks by removing the bull penis, cleaning it and then hanging it upside down to allow for fluid drainage. Once all fluids have been drained out of the penis, it may be stretched to make a larger chew, and it may be twisted or braided. Once the penis has been stretched and shaped, it’s smoked or dried to make a long lasting, safe dog chew toy.
Bully sticks are available in a number of different sizes, from 5 to 12 inches long and up to four inches wide. Dogs of all sizes can enjoy bully sticks.